Now Online and By Appointment! Contact us at director@quintanagalleries.com or 503-810-7525

Mercado de Pan en Tlacolula, Oaxaca, 1957 by Arturo Garcia Bustos, Mexico

Regular price $900.00 Sale

Mercado de Pan en Tlacolula, Oaxaca, 1957
by Arturo Garcia Bustos (1926-2017), Mexico
linocut on paper
17" high x 20.5" wide
hand signed in lower right corner
mint condition

Arturo García Bustos was born in Mexico City in 1927. He grew up during the time when Mexican muralism was dominant, which drew him to art. After attending high school at the Escuela Nacional Preparatoria Núm 1, specializing in architecture, he entered the Escuela Nacional de Artes Plásticas in 1941, at age fifteen. The following year he entered the Escuela de Pintura y Escultura ("La Esmeralda") where his teachers were Frida Kahlo, Feliciano Peña, Agustín Lazo and María Izquierdo.

Bustos worked as an apprentice in mural painting with Diego Rivera, and initially learned engraving and lithography working at the Taller de Gráfica Popular with Leopoldo Méndez. In 1958, he collaborated with graphic designer Miguel Prieto at the Instituto Nacional de Bellas Artes.

García Bustos’ social life revolved around the circles of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, even meeting his wife, Rina Lazo through the famous couple. The married in 1949. The couple were happily married for over 60 years. They lived in the Coyoacán borough of Mexico City in a colonial house called Casa Colorada, on Calle de Vallarta in the La Conchita neighborhood. Their home is said to be a residence of La Malinche. It was later a monastery, prison and hospital.

In 2006, after living there for more than forty years, they opened part of it on the ground floor to house the Galería de la Casa Colorado. This gallery is run by the couple's only daughter, Rina García Lazo, who is an architect specializing in the restoration of monuments.

Bustos died in Mexico City on April 7, 2017. His last exhibition took place at Universidad Iberoamericana. This was a cooperative display by him and his wife, and was mounted by alumni from the Art History program.